Winter Course Introduction
Winter is the most unique season in Hokkaido, the amount of snow is unbelievable! After 3 hours of Japanese study every morning we have prepared many different cultural experiences and winter activities for you to enjoy. Come and enjoy everything winter in Sapporo has to offer with classmates from all over the world!
Example of course participation period:
Admission Jan 15th (Mon) ⇒ Graduation Feb 16th (Fri)[ five weeks ]
|Levels:||All levels (Beginner – Advanced)|
|Time:||9:30 – 12:20 (Three 50 minute lessons per day)|
|Class size:||max. 6 persons|
Please see the pamphlet for more information. Winter Course pamphlet.
Memories of winter Course
The Advantage of Sapporo in winter
Winter is a wonderful time to visit Sapporo. The streets are covered in mountains of beautiful snow, allowing for many exciting winter activities such as skiing, snowboarding, and snowshoeing, all within the city limits. After, enjoy a soak in one of the many famous hot springs. February, the largest Snow Festival in Japan is held, The Sapporo Snow Festival. People from all around the world come to see the giant sculptures carved in snow, and enjoy the winter activities and food. Even in winter, you can conveniently get around the city via the underground subway system, so you won’t miss any of the winter excitement!
For more information on Hokkaido please go to the About Hokkaido page.
Japanese Lessons at Hokkaido JaLS.
In order to improve your Japanese conversational skills within a short period of time, we focus on three main areas – practice, speak and use! The classes at Hokkaido JaLS are designed for a maximum of 6 people in each class. This way, our teachers are able to coach our students individually, giving you plenty of chance to clarify doubts and practice Japanese. After class, students are encouraged to use Japanese actively out of school and on the streets of Sapporo!
Example of Japanese Lessons
Shopping in Japanese
1.Learning grammar and vocabulary in class
2.Using the new grammar and vocabulary while shopping!
Writing a report on popular restaurants and shops
1.Learn how to conduct an interview in Japanese
2. Interview people at the restaurant/shop
3. Write, draw, create a report!
Practice Japanese in cultural experience and activities
At Hokkaido JaLS, students get many chances to use Japanese outside of the classroom. Every day, we have a mini event for JaLS students, staff, students from local universities, and working adults from Sapporo to meet, interact and have fun together. It’s a great way for you to practice Japanese and make new friends!
We strongly encourage our short-term students to participate in the after-class activities. By speaking to our volunteers in Japanese, your language skills will advance rapidly and you will be able to enjoy speaking Japanese!
- ・Complimentary use of our café lounge
- Students who choose not to take part in after class activities are free to study in our café lounge. Teachers are available in the staff room to answer your questions. We hope this will aid you in your studies!
- ・Exchange session with local Japanese
- It is important to talk Japanese with the teachers, but if you get a chance to speak with other local Japanese, it is a good practice too. During your stay in Japan, Hokkaido JaLS’s exchange session will help you make friends with Japanese people.
- ・Free Japanese lessons
- Every week we offer free Japanese lessons. From conversation classes with Japanese locals to a place to practice kanji, the lessons are varied and lots of fun.
- ・More than 100 reference books available for your use
- If you have any questions during your self study time, please feel free to ask your teachers. We are more than happy to help you find the study method and materials that fit you best.